My place...

'Type in your company slogan here'

2009-10-02 18:09

CNC Abene




  Mechanical 1

  Mechancial 2




Link / News Box

Your Link

Your Link

Your Link

Your Link

Your Link

Your Link


Text Box

Use this box to type any specials, new updates or even gallery pics here.


CNC - Abene VHF-3 - Mechanical - Part 1


After removing the surface rust I set out to inspect the machine the best I could. The machine has boxways on Y and dovetail ways on X and Z. The ways and screws looked fine on all three axes. Here's a couple of random photos:

This is the Y-axis ways and ballscrew, the red/brown junk isn't rust it's just old oil and grease....

The next photo is a closeup of the X-axis ballnut. The screws are 32mm in diameter, 5mm pitch on all axes and are made by Rexroth/STAR.

As you hopefully can see in the next photo I was able to get the rust on the sides cleaned up pretty good:

Here's another shot of the left side of the X-axis with the bearingplate removed. You can see one of the manifolds for the central lubing system:


And here's a shot of the spindle gearbox. The spindle, by the way, is a SK40 DIN2080, has 12 speeds between 44 and 2000rpm and the motor is 4.5kW (6HP). It will eventually be controlled by a Siemens Micromaster VFD.


Quite early in the process I discovered a problem with the Z-axis. The bevel gear that drives the Z-axis ballscrew was slipping on the shaft so I had to take that apart and fix it. I bought an engine hoist and started by removing the table to gain better access as well as reduce the weight of the knee a bit:


Once I got the knee lifted (and supported) high enough I was able to slip down the telescopic covers, loosen the ballscrew at the top end and thread it down into the "leg" of the knee.


After that I could remove the whole screw jack from the base of the machine. Once that was done it was easy to spot the problem:

As you can see the only thing holding the end of the shaft to the ballscrew was a single set-screw. It was also burried so deep in the shaft (in order for the gear to fit over it) that it more or less became like hollow pin instead of a solid screw. I replaced the setscrew with a conical dowel pin going thru the extensionshaft and ballscrew from one side to the other. Hopefully it will hold up much better than the set-screw.


Here's a shot of the sadle with the table removed:


While having the table removed I figured I might as well get some paint on that bare metal on the sides of the machine, here's the basecoat applied:


And here's the same view with two out of three layers of paint. I brought one of the bearingplates with me to the store for the guys to match the new pain against. They did a pretty good job.


<Back>  <Next> 


Copyright 2009 Henrik Olsson. All Rights Reserved.
Template downloaded from:
FrontPage Templates